To make each of these substitutes for buttermilk, stir the ingredients together and let them sit for about 10 minutes so the milk can “sour.” Then go ahead and use it as a substitute for buttermilk in baking. One cup of real or substitute buttermilk = 1 c. of whole, skim, or non-fat milk.
- White Vinegar + Milk: 1 Tbsp. white vinegar + enough milk to make 1 cup
- Lemon Juice + Milk: 1 Tbsp. lemon juice + enough milk to make 1 cup
- Cream of Tartar + Milk: 1¾ tsp. cream of tartar + 1 c. milk
- Yogurt + Milk: ¾ c. yogurt + ¼ c. milk
- Sour Cream + Milk: ¾ c. sour cream + ¼ c. milk