Best of the Best, 5 May 2017 was once again a great hit!!! What makes a party great? Answer: the people and their interactions with one another – a hands-down winning response. This monthly gathering of locals and tourists (minus a lot of regular snowbirds) on the first Friday of each month at La Buena Vida Restaurant seemed very “special.” The 25+ people attending kept making the remark about it being “special:” Was it the balmy breezes? The nearness of the tables to each other? The fast action of the waiters? The colorful shirts, T’s, and sandals? Or a combination of all of these as well as just being together?
The culmination of this event began with Turner Sparks of Shanghi, China and New York City making remarks. Turner is a former celebrity stand-up comedian who appeared during one of Akumal’s Comedy Festivals. Lots of back and forth remarks were made as winners were announced and prizes awarded. Mary Henderson and Annette Barstch were the judges; David Zucker was the intrepid photographer. The following were recognized in the three standard categories:
- Best Shirt………….Turner Sparks,winner of a free drink at Turtle Bay and Bakery
- Best Sandals………Susan Fritz, winner of a free drink at Lunita Restaurant
- Best Clever T……..Rocio Cue, winner of a free drink at La Buena Vida Resataurant
The raffle/door prizes received lots of favorable enthusiasm. Wendell Day did the honors of drawing the numbers for the lucky winners:
- Beer Mug with La Buena Vida logo (much coveted by all)—John Clendenning of Breckinridge, CO.
- Two free drinks from La Buena Vida—Terri Headley from Oregon
- Cueva Vodka from Turtle Bay Café and Bakery–Laura Clendenning of Breckinridge, CO.
Many, many thanks to Jamie and Bart, who were both present, for donating these memorable door prizes!!!
Hope to see YOU for June 2nd Best of the Best event.
And the Winners are . . .